By Sgt. Neil Dickenson
Moose Lake Star-Gazette 

Ask a Trooper


Question: I have a North Dakota Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) “Class A” permit. But my employer is in the Minnesota area. Can I legally drive on my “Class A” CDL permit in the state of Minnesota if I have a licensed CDL “Class A” driver with me, in the Minnesota area to get my behind-the-wheel experience? Or do I have to be in the state of North Dakota for my permit to be valid?

Answer: Your North Dakota CDL Permit is valid in any state where you are driving, if all the rest of the requirements have been met (age, medically qualified, restrictions, etc.)

The State Patrol Commercial Vehicle Section is comprised of civilian commercial vehicle inspectors and state troopers. They work together to conduct commercial vehicle safety inspections and weighing at highway weigh stations and roadside locations throughout the state.

Under the Commercial Vehicle Section, the Office of Pupil Transportation Safety is responsible for performing periodic and random inspections of school buses operated in the state. Commercial Vehicle Section personnel also facilitate training and outreach programs to inform drivers and carriers of rules and regulations, including certifying technicians and mechanics to perform annual inspections under the state's Mandatory Inspection Program.

If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota send your questions to Sgt. Neil Dickenson – Minnesota State Patrol at 1131 Mesaba Ave Duluth, MN 55811. (Or reach him at


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019