By Lois E Johnson
Moose Lake Star-Gazette 

Rebuilding after the fire, pt. 2

1918 Revisited


December 20, 2018

Editor’s Note: The devastating forest fire of Oct. 12, 1918, destroyed Kettle River and Moose Lake. The rebuilding process began the following year, as reported in the pages of the Star-Gazette.

May 29, 1919 – The Moose Lake Motor Company has their new garage nearly completed. It stands on the same foundation as the one destroyed in the fires of Oct. 12. Weske Brothers have moved into their new meat market building.

June 5, 1919 – Sealed proposals will be received by the Board of Education of Moose Lake for the furnishing of all labor and materials required in the erection and completion of an addition to the present school building.

June 19, 1919 – Moose Lake’s new theatre will be known as the “Strand.” Messrs. Lower and Nevers were in Minneapolis last week, where they bought their new equipment.

Aug. 21, 1919 – John Florin is soon to build a flour mill at Moose Lake. It will be of 75 barrels capacity but it will be enlarged as business warrants.

Aug. 28, 1919 – Robert Hamlin of Pine City decided to come to Moose Lake to put in a complete line of furniture and undertaking. Mr. and Mrs. Hamlin are both licensed embalmers. They expect to be ready for business in three weeks. They will locate temporarily in the building vacated by H. T. Carlson.

Sept. 4, 1919 – August F. Rohler and Richard J. Lewis applied for a certificate authorizing them to conduct a bank in Moose Lake. The new institution is to be known as the Security State Bank of Moose Lake.

Sept. 18, 1919 – Enough money has been secured in Moose Lake to assure the erection of a hotel. Business men of the village are financing the deal. The building will stand on the old hotel property but, instead of being a two-story structure, it will be increased to three stories, containing 40 to 50 rooms. It will be a modern brick and cement structure and modern in every respect.

Moose Lake’s new sewer system is fast being laid. Nearly all businesses and places are having the ditches dug right to their basements.

Ole Anderson, who some time ago purchased the old Herreid property, where the Star Gazette stood before the fire, this week broke ground and will soon build a fine new confectionary store.

Oct. 2, 1919 – Mr. Hannaford of the Northern Pacific Railroad railway has shown plans of the new depot to be erected here. The building is to be completed by the time the snow flies.

Attorney L. H. Blacklock has returned after serving with Uncle Sam’s forces for the past year and a half. Attorney Blacklock will probably open a law office in the near future.

Oct. 9, 1919 – The anniversary of the great forest fire on Oct. 12, 1918, is to be observed in Moose Lake next Sunday. Gov. J. A. A. Burnquist will be here to deliver the principal address. It is hoped that the entire community will turn out at the commemoration of those who lost their lives in the terrible catastrophe.

Oct. 16, 1919 – C. F. Manke sold the Star Gazette to Sterle O. Sisco and A. T. Lokken, who have been employed by Manke a great many years. Manke said that he will continue to live in Moose Lake and carry on a real estate and auctioneering business.

Oct. 23, 1919 – At a meeting of the Moose Lake Commercial Club, the representatives of the club appeared before the Fire Relief Commission, who agreed to turn over the Red Cross buildings, including the Community building, warehouses along the N. P., and the building recently vacated by Mr. McLeer, after payment of the existing debt on the Community building.

Dec. 4, 1919 – The Commercial Club voted to rent the basement of the Farmer’s State Bank building, which will be donated for the use of the village library.

Dec. 18, 1919 – Chas. Haney has moved into town and opened up a barber shop in the old Cooper shack across the street from the N. P. depot. This gives Moose Lake two barber shops.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 03/29/2020 12:02