Moose Lake Star Gazette - Serving Carlton and Pine Counties Since 1895

Bombers dominate


Barnum Bomber Cody Shelgren runs the ball in the September 20 game against the Hinckley-Finlayson Jaguars.

The Barnum Bombers football team made the trek to Hinckley to take on the Jaguars of Hinckley-Finlayson on September 20.

The Bombers would kick-off first to the Jaguars, where the Jaguars began the game on their own 35 yard line. The Jaguars began by trying to move the ball on the ground, but the Bomber front line had none of that. The Bombers forced the ball to be punted away, where Brandon Newman received the ball and returned it to the Jaguar 46 yard line.

The Bombers then began the process of driving the ball down the field, with Zach Peterson getting the call to carry the ball. Peterson continued to march the ball down and punched it into the end zone from a yard and a half out. Cody Shelgren caught the pass from Newman for the 2-point conversion. The Jaguars received the ball deep in their own territory and again came with the running game. This time, though, they were more successful.

The Jaguars then stepped up and showed that they could also pass the ball with Cody Dunkley taking a 57 yard pass all the way into the end zone, but the 2-point conversion failed. The Bombers were in the lead 8-6.

The Bombers again took possession of the ball on their own 34 yard line. This time, Shelgren received the call to carry the ball. The Bombers pounded the ball all the way to the Jaguar 28 yard line, where Newman attempted a pass that was picked off by the Jaguars' T.J. Johnson.

Unfortunately, the Jaguars were not able to score on the drive and the Bombers got the ball back on their 42 yard line. This time, it was Peterson and Newman marching the ball down field. Peterson carried the ball in for the touchdown while Newman got the carry for the 2-point conversion, giving the Bombers a 16-6 lead.

The passing game of the Jaguars came to haunt the Bombers, with Dunkley taking a 52 yard pass into the end zone, with Alex Fiero taking the 2-point conversion in, bringing the score to 16-14.

The Bombers got the ball back with relatively good field position on their 46 yard line. The Bombers brought a new offensive weapon as Mitchell Weller got the call to carry the ball in this go 'round.

The Bombers continued to march the ball up the field, ending with a Shelgren 15-yard touchdown run and Newman again taking the 2-point conversion, giving the Bombers a 24-14 lead.

The Jaguars got the ball back with 5:47 left in the first half, and again came with the air game. The Jaguars passed the ball well, resulting in another Jaguar touchdown, but the Bombers remained strong, preventing the 2-point conversion. The Bombers held on to the lead at 24-20.

The Bombers got one more chance at the end zone before half time. This time, Weller received the kickoff and returned it all the way out to the Jaguars 45 yard line. Shelgren, Peterson and Weller took turns marching the ball up field. The result was a Peterson touchdown run, but the 2-point conversion fell short, giving the Bombers a 30-20 lead.

The Jaguars came out throwing the ball, however, this time Newman was not fooled and picked off the Jaguar pass.

With time counting down, the Bombers marched the ball up field one more time. With 8.9 seconds on the clock, Newman took to the air connecting with Weller for a 51-yard touchdown pass, followed by a Newman 2-point conversion. The Bombers had a 38-20 lead going into half time.

The second half, the Bombers started with the ball. Weller took the kickoff and returned it to the Bomber 35 yard line. This time Shelgren got the call to carry the ball, but was stopped at the line of scrimmage.

The Bombers again gave the ball to Shelgren, but this time he found an opening in the Jaguar defense and took the ball 66 yards for the touchdown, with Newman passing the ball to Weller for the 2-point conversion. The Bombers went up 46-20.

In the second half, the Bombers made some adjustments and the defense put a halt on the Jaguars' air game.

Bombers Tory Slater and Jaxon Lind both had some great plays, forcing the Jaguars to punt the ball. The Bombers controlled the second half with Newman connecting with Weller for a 39 yard touchdown pass. Shelgren took the ball into the end zone for the 2-point conversion. The Bombers extended their lead to 54-20.

The Bombers defense again stopped the Jaguars' passing game and the Bombers got the ball back. This time, the Bombers kept the ball on the ground, pounding the ball up field resulting in a Newman 31-yard touchdown run, with Weller taking the ball in for 2-point conversion. The Bombers lead extended to 62-20.

With the beginning of the fourth quarter and the clock on run time, the Bombers began to substitute younger players for some of the more experienced ones, allowing the Jaguars to connect with a 15-yard touchdown pass, and a Nate Nelson 2-point conversion, bringing the score to 62-28. The game ultimately ended with both teams subbing in younger players.

With this win, the Bombers advance their season to 4-0, while the Jaguars drop to a 1-3 record. The Jaguars next take on the Rangers of Crosby-Ironton, while the Bombers will host the Mesabi East Giants for Barnum's homecoming.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019