Moose Lake Star Gazette - Serving Carlton and Pine Counties Since 1895

By Al Rose
Moose Lake Star Gazette 

Rebels race past Jaguars in opener

 

Al Rose

Moose Lake/Willow River Rebel Maddi Milczark has 13 points in the win over the Hinckley-Finlayson Jaguars Tuesday, December 1, in Moose Lake.

The Moose Lake/Willow River Rebels used a pestering defense and four three pointers to race to a 13-0 lead at 10:24 and 30-11 at halftime before continuing on to win 62-22 in running time over the Hinckley-Finlayson Jaguars in the girls basketball opener played in Moose Lake on Tuesday, December 1.

ML-WR ended up 7-for-25 (28 percent) from three-point land and went 16-for-45 (36 percent) on two point attempts for a total field goal rate of 23-for-70 (33 percent). The Rebels added 9-for-13 (69 percent) on free throws.

The Jaguars only attempted two three-pointers and missed both while going 8-for-29 (28 percent) on two point attempts to end up at 8-for-31 (26 percent). Hinckley-Finlayson went 6-for-15 (40 percent) on free throws.

The Rebels out-rebounded the Jaguars 35-28. ML-WR racked up 20 steals while the Jaguars had only three steals. The Rebels had seven readily apparent assists compared to no clean assists by the Jaguars. ML-WR did a good job taking care of the basketball with just 12 turnovers while Hinckley-Finlayson suffered 32 turnovers.

The following represents points (including three-pointers), rebounds, steals and assists for the Rebels: Morgan Prachar - 16 (5), 2, 3, 1; Maddi Milczark - 13 (1), 2, 1, 2; Jenna Ramberg - 9 (1), 1, 3, 0; Ava Szczyrbak - 6, 1, 1, 0; Scarlett Anderson - 4, 7, 5, 0; Hannah Walker - 4, 5, 1, 0; Suzy Grutkoski - 4, 1, 0, 0; Libbie Ring - 2, 13, 4, 2; Ally Bode - 2, 1, 2, 0; Laura Walker - 2, 1, 0, 1.

The Jaguars were led by Dana Tekavec with 12 points. Hannah Balut had four points. Alawanna Roberts and Alexis Petite each had two points. Bridget Reamer and Kelly McFarland each added a free throw.

The Rebels have a big home clash with the Barnum Bombers in Moose Lake on Thursday, December 10 at 7:15 p.m. and host the perennially very good Mt. Iron-Buhl Rangers on Tuesday, December 15.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017