State precinct caucuses Feb. 4
Precinct caucuses for both the Democratic and Republican parties will be held on February 4 at 7 p.m. throughout the state. Carlton County is part of House District 11A, Senate District 11, and the 8th Congressional District (maps can be found on the Minnesota Secretary of State's website at http://www.sos.state.mn). This begins the political season as it moves towards the fall General Election in November.
Caucus night is a gathering of neighbors who come to learn more about candidates for public office, discuss current issues, such as copper-nickel mining, infrastructure needs and aid to public schools, elect local party officers, and propose resolutions that may address some of these issues.
Individuals that are 18 years old at the time of the General Election may vote. Younger interested citizens may attend to speak on current issues. Precinct caucuses gather in groups at several locations in the area but meet in their individual caucus at that location. A party member convenes the caucuses at each site and are available to answer questions on process. Each meeting has a chair, secretary, and two tellers if the group has a large attendance.
Each precinct elects a chair as a neighborhood organizing leader and delegates are elected to a district convention held in a few weeks. Local legislators or individual campaign staff may appear. Resolutions are proposed and passed by a majority vote of the attending caucus members.
The caucus system is viewed as a good tool to involve new people and a chance for an in depth discussion of current issues or candidates for public office. In this cycle Minnesotans will elect a governor, a U.S. senator, a congressman, and local members to the Minnesota State Legislature.
The Democratic Farmer-Labor Party is holding their caucuses for HD 11A on February 4 at 7 p.m. at the following locations:
- Brookston Town Hall, convener Michlyn Willett-Zagar, Arrowhead Township, Brevator Township, Brookston Township, Culver Township, and Stoney Brook Township.
- Barnum High School, convener Linda Redetzke, City of Barnum, Barnum Township, Skelton Township, Mahtowa Township, Atkinson Township, and Blackhoof Township.
- Moose Lake High School, convener Byron Kuster, City of Moose Lake, and Moose Lake Township.
- Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College, convenor Jesse Berglund, City of Cloquet, W-1, W-2, W-3, W-4, W-5 (P-1, P-2), Perch Lake Township, and Sawyer Unorg.
- Esko High School, convener Patty Murto, Thomson Township, City of Scanlon, and City of Thomson.
- Holyoke Town Hall, convener Doug Engie, Holyoke Township, and Clear Creek Unorg.
- Cromwell-Wright Schools, convener Steve Risacher, Beseman Township, Corona Unorg ., City of Cromwell, Eagle Township, Lakeview Township, Progress Unorg ., Red Clover Unorg ., and City of Wright.
- Windemere Town Hall, convenor Ross Anderson, Windemere Township, Kerrick Township, and Sturgeon Lake P-2.
- Kettle River Senior Citizens/City Hall, convener Dan Reed, Automba Township, Kalevala Township, City of Kettle River, Silver Township, and Split Rock Township.
- Carlton High School, convener Judy Quiram, City of Carlton, Twin Lakes Township, Wrenshall Township, City of Wrenshall, and Silver Brook Township.
The Republican Party has their precinct caucus sites on February 4 at 7 p.m. as follows:
- Carlton High School Library, Blackhoof Township, Carlton, Clear Creek Unorg, Holyoke Township, City of Thomson, Silver Brook Township, Twin Lakes Township, City of Wrenshall, and Wrenshall Township.
- Cloquet Senior High School, Rooms E106-110, all Cloquet wards, Perch Lake Township, and City of Scanlon.
- Cromwell School Library, Automba Township, Beseman Township, Corona Unorg ., Cromwell, Eagle Township, Lakeview Township, Progress Unorg ., Red Clover Unorg ., Sawyer Unorg ., Split Rock Township, and Wright.
- Esko High School, Room 132, Thomson Township.
- Moose Lake Library/Council Room, Atkinson Township, Barnum, Barnum Township, Kalevala Township, Kettle River, Mahtowa Township, Moose Lake, Moose Lake Township, Silver Township, and Skelton Township.