43rd Annual Agate Days this weekend
July 19, 2012
Despite recent flooding, the Moose Lake Area Chamber of Commerce is once again sponsoring the Agate Days celebration in Moose Lake. A fireworks show Friday night will kick off the event, which runs through Sunday, July 22.
Moose Lake is known as the Agate Capital of the World and is home to the world's largest agate on record, weighing in at 108 pounds. This is kept on display at First National Bank of Moose Lake. Every year, the Moose Lake Chamber of Commerce hosts the Agate Days celebration, which includes the "Agate Stampede." Two dump trucks empty loads of rock mixed with agates and hundreds of dollars in quarters down Elm Avenue. Thousands of people line up along the two-block street and wait for the cannon to boom signaling the start of the stampede. The Agate Stampede is always held at 2 p.m. on the Saturday of Agate Days.
The schedule is as follows:
– July 20, fireworks show at the Moose Lake City Park at approximately 10 p.m.
– July 21, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Art in the Park, Moose Lake City Park
– July 21, 2 p.m., Agate Stampede, Elm Avenue.
– July 21, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., and July 22, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., shuttle rides courtesy of Moose Lake Motors. Stops are: Moose Lake School for the Gem and Mineral Show; Moose Lake City Park for Art in the Park; Lake State Federal Credit Union parking lot on 3rd and Douglas; 5th Street and Grove between the Evangelical Covenant Church and Hamlin-Hansen-Kosloski Funeral Home; Moose Lake State Park and the Agate and Geological Center.
– July 21 and 22, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Moose Lake State Park and Agate and Geological Center open house.
– July 21, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., and July 22, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Gem and Mineral Show at the Moose Lake High School gymnasium, sponsored by Carlton County Gem and Mineral Club.
– July 21, 7:30-11 a.m., Moose Lake Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast in the park.
– July 21, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., rock slideshow in the Moose Lake Public Library Community Room.
– July 21, 2 p.m., Agate Stampede on Elm Avenue.
– July 21, 4-8 p.m., Moose Lake Fire Department Steak Fry at the fire hall.
– July 21, beer garden at Moose Lake Municipal, run by Moose Lake Liquor Store.
– July 22, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Antique Car Show at Moose Lake City Park.